Friday, May 3, 2019

Home Today


Today’s the day. Today’s the day they told me to go. I had lived in the same room for just over five weeks; today’s the day I walked from that to my car, and my love drove us to our home.

In the hospital, I found myself moving quickly up and down the halls. The wheelchair rolled quickly down the smooth hallway. And when I walked, I made better time than most people who were living in the rooms near mine.

Today, though, I move back out into the not-hospital world - where I notice that as comparatively quickly as I locomoted in the hospital, I’m slow compared to most people. I’m slow, and my gait is stilted and shuffling.

Now I sit in the comfort of our home, recognizing that the hospital is safer and easier to navigate than an apartment complex or a grocery store or the sidewalk next to a parking lot. I sit here, recognizing that I’ll be slow and clumsy for a while.

And today - the day I’m released from the hospital, the day I come home - today, I realize again that it will be challenging to make my way through this world. And embedded within that realization, I begin to understand the truth that I'm just the same as every single other person. 

3 comments:

  1. I saw your gofundme posted on the Trinity alumni Facebook page and it linked to your blog. I too am a Trinity alum and just discharged from Craig mid April after having spent five weeks there for a brain injury . We live in Denver and I’m in out patient at Craig now. I know what it feels like to come home and feel like you left your safety bubble - life is so different in the real world after being there! It’s a big adjustment but it does get better! Lean on your wife and family and friends while you need to - do as much resting as your body needs — you’ll get there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read your exes comment about you. I thought how cruel. After looking at your posts I can see why you both married. No glory to God in your suffering. No mention of God. Are you truly a child of God? You and your ex are both in desperate need of salvation. Examine yourself to see if you truly are saved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you chose to remain anonymous - this comment could be the spark for a good conversation.

    To respond - yes, I'm in need of salvation (just like each of us is). And I believe with everything I am that God worked my salvation, and yours, on the cross and in the empty tomb. However, since this accident, my experience has been much more in line with Psalm 88 than with finding glory in my own suffering. If that truth makes me a bad Christian, I'll accept your judgement and criticism.

    ReplyDelete