Monday, May 27, 2019

It's Gonna Be a While - Reflections on Wishing Recovery was More Complete Already

I’m tired of not feeling right. I’m tired of not feeling like I feel like I should. It doesn’t get to me every day, but the list of ways I obviously don’t feel quite right gets to me once in a while.

The most frustrating part is that my muscles don’t work the way they’re supposed to – don’t work the way they used to. Which means that:
* I get up really slowly from chairs
* It’s a long and involved processes for me to get out of bed
* My gait is really slow, awkward, I walk with a significant limp
and I either have to use crutches or I weave all over the place

Add that to the neck and torso braces (which together prevent me from bending above the waist) that I’ll be wearing for at least a couple more weeks, and I’m feeling pretty physically incompetent.

Beyond that, my brain (which was never the sharpest or quickest), isn’t quite keeping up the way it should. Plus, unrelated to the injury from a couple months ago, I’m having my glasses prescription updated ... which means that I get to get used to wearing glasses.

I'm not feeling right, not feeling like I want to. I'm not moving around like I'd like to, and I’ve started resigning myself to the truth that I may not ever again be able to some of the things I used to love doing.

Yes, I'm still working at recovery - doing the stretching and strength training and muscular electro-stimulation that I'm supposed to - but running and jumping, cycling and skiing, climbing and backpacking, all are impossible right now, and it seems like a stretch that I'll ever get back to those things.

There are times that I believe fully and completely that after recovery I'll be back to being able to do 100% of what I used to do.

There are times when I dream that everything goes to hell and that everything I've gained back over the past couple months was a fluke - that I'll lose all the progress from the past couple months and will end up needing to use a breath-powered wheelchair to get around.

And there are times when what feels more true than the rest is that I've permanently lost some of the physical capabilities I once had.

I feel like everything's going to hell very rarely; I feel like everything'll be completely back to what was normal a little more often; most of the time, though, I just wish that I felt right again.

I'm tired of not feeling right, and I long for the day when what today doesn't feel right will all of a sudden be normal. I think it's gonna be a while.

2 comments:

  1. Baby steps...I am just grateful that you are making progress and glad you are frustrated. It tells me your fire is still there and you are not resigning yourself. It will take a lot of time and a lot of effort. A baby crawls, falls, wobbles, totters, and gets po'd that it can't keep up with the other kids. It takes a lot of learning, strengthening, time,and a few good cries to get there. We are all here to help pick you up, brush you off, and set you on your course again.

    All our love and faith, Lynna and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel "right" again sooner than you think or at least have moments of feeling right. I imagine your baseline physical strength (from before the accident), your mental grit and determination as a life-long athlete, and your awareness of the relentless grace of God are your helpers during the times you feel like it's all going to hell. Sending you love and peace, and praying for full healing. I wish it would happen sooner than it is.
    Lydia

    ReplyDelete