Monday, April 8, 2019

Smaller world: Reflections after a ski accident

My world has gotten
considerably
notably
remarkably
smaller
over the past couple of weeks

That same world, which was expansive before
has shrunk considerably in the past month
from looking out the window of my car
or across the front range
I looked to the wilder places
at peaks and valleys to explore
at vistas to take in from the back of a bicycle

my view shrunk
to my love, and the handful of people who are closest to me
to what I could see looking up from an ICU bed
my view shrunk
to a small slice of foothills and building
outside the hospital window
to a couple of nurses at a time,
who made sure I wouldn’t die that day
my view shrunk
to swallowing two pills
and eating one small bowl of Jello

Early one afternoon,
a beautiful day of skiing
turned surprisingly and swiftly (and violently?)
into the beginning of a personal and communal struggle

Weeks later,
I roll around with predictions rattling in my head
that cerebral electrical connections
will reestablish communication
and sinews atrophied by weeks of disuse
will be strengthened by moving again
though in very deliberate and intentional ways
even while I roll around, also,
with the idea that I’ll never stop sitting and rolling

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful. As always. These things we know:

    You will rise up from that bed of ashes.
    Yes, your old sense of invulnerability is now tinged by those ashes.
    But, we heal.
    We rise up.
    We step back into life and it is so much sweeter knowing how deep pain can go.
    And yet, even with that memory of pain we rise to that sweet new life
    Rise well, old friend.
    The healing will take longer than you want to give, because hope leaps forward, outpacing the slow but steady movement toward new life of sinew, flesh. and bone.
    And you are healing.
    And rising.
    Welcome to life renewed.
    Be well. Be whole. Be loved. Be made new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s all about perspective. Yours seems fine. That’s a great sign. You got this my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just remember all things are possible thru God. Just be patient. All in good time. Let your body heal and your strength build.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Grateful for your comments. Grateful that you are healing, and we pray for continued healing. We're thinking of you and praying for you Matthew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry this happened to you, but grateful for progress and healing. I'm still in Budapest for Global Mission and praying from afar. Thank you for sharing both the challenge and the hope. You are a gift and a blessing to a very broad community. I am so thankful for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will never stop.
    You are so totally surrounded in prayer.
    This is the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't entirely relate to what you are going through, but I do know about being separated from doing the things you would like to be doing. You will get through this and come out the other side. Be patient (hard for you, I know), listen to the therapists charged with your recovery and you will be back with us as soon as is possible. Prayers to all! ��

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this. Know how much you are loved,and how grateful we are to have you still here. Peace in the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was almost painful to read. I feel for you, I can’t imagine how frustrating it must be for you - just know you are so loved . You will get better....you just have to!! We miss you lots at church, keep healing , I will make sure the kiddos save you some of your favorite doughnuts when you are back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Today I was at PT and someone pointed out a person to me - since I am not that observant and though I hate when people give examples of other people to me, I could not help but think of you and this blog, because this person lives for now where I get PT (but in the inpatient part), and had a skiing accident at the beginning of the season and people thought with him that the fixing of stuff was not going to happen - the odds were low - but months after his accident connections have been made and he is walking and in his case they doubted connections would come back at all - I am thinking he had much more broken stuff than you. Each person and accident is so different but connections do return for many (he’s not the first skiing accident person I have known). So I will keep hoping that it is a matter of time for you.

    ReplyDelete