Sunday, April 21, 2019

Injury Recovery: Reflections About Rehabilitation on Easter Sunday

Once, when I was a teenager, my friend invited me to go camping with him and his family for the weekend. It was their tradition on this particular weekend to go camping, but their tradition was in direct conflict with my family tradition. See, it was Easter weekend. My family could always be found in church for Easter, and for the Triduum as well. But that one year, I was so psyched that my friend had invited me that I had to go camping.

It was a really fun weekend of camping, and I’m glad I went. But after the weekend, I realized that I’d missed the whole Good Friday and Easter drama – I hadn’t gotten to recognize death and celebrate life.

That was the first year I didn’t celebrate the Triduum and Easter in church. This year, 2019, is the second. This time, instead of staying at a campground by the river, I’m staying in a hospital where I’m focusing on physical rehabilitation in the wake of a spinal cord injury.

Honestly, it’s hard to wrap my mind around my current reality. I mean, so far my experience has been that every time I’ve been sick or injured, I have the capacity to recover fully and completely from my injury.

But this time, that might not be possible. Fully recovered this time around might mean I will forever walk with a limp … or with crutches … or that I won’t have the capacity to walk very much at all. I couldn’t have admitted that even to myself three weeks ago. But this week I’m experiencing some of that death that I talked about on Ash Wednesday. Not death which means life has ended, but death in the sense that a person experiences the loss of something significant. In my case, at this moment, it would be the potential permanent loss of mobility and capability.

This all goes through my head and my heart despite the encouragement that I get from people around me. My beloved and my parents echo the therapists and nurses and doctors and other folks here at the hospital where I’ve spent the past three weeks in telling me that I’m making significant progress. But all I really see is what I can’t do any more.

For the past almost five weeks since my accident, I’ve been almost entirely confined to hospitals. Thankfully. They’ve been safe places for healing and growth. Soon, though, in a couple weeks, I’ll be released from inpatient care, and will move in with my beloved and three small children.

It’s frightening, to consider moving from the safety of the hospital to the relative wild of the regular world, especially when I don’t get around as fluidly as I once did. It’s scary to not know how things will go.

I know I should recognize the gift of new life being presented to me on Easter Sunday. But Easter’s supposed to be filled with joy – and I feel way more anxious than joyous. The hospital is safe. I can do what I’m comfortable doing. And for those things that I need (or want) help with, assistance is readily available. Outside of the hospital, I’m on my own.

Except I’m not. I’m not venturing out of here by myself. There are people who love me who are willing to use some of their own time and energy and resources to make sure I’m safe; people who are willing to make sure I’m taken care of, that I have what I need; people who are willing to invest enough in me so that I can experience the freedom and joy that are beyond the anxiety and trepidation which accompany virtually every gift of resurrection.

12 comments:

  1. My heart both breaks for your pain and anxieties, and rejoices for your powerful witness in my life, and the lives of many. You are DEFINITELY not alone. Thanks be to God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will rise. It’s what we do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can’t imagine what you are going through! My prayers are with you as you continue to recover and heal! May God’s light shine in the darkness of your pain and suffering!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today was the first Easter in the past decade that you weren’t there to implore me—implore us—to shout loudly “Alleluia! Christ is risen!” It felt a little strange—not bad, just strange. But I accepted it. Because I know that next Easter you’ll be back, maybe with a limp or on crutches or with a cane and you’ Be imploring me—and is—to shout loudly, “Alleluia! Christ is risen!” Miss you Brother. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are in the best facility for continued recovery! Thank God for your caretakers, your loved ones, your close friends, and your Holy Love congregation who will help in any way possible! That includes me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Remember that the people who are there to help you are feeling your pain too because they love you and want to help you. Let them help you to help yourself. You are not alone they are with you for the long run. Be patient be strong and have Faith. This is part of God's plan for you. Se ding prayers for a complete recovery down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matthew, you might know me. I ride with your father and have shared breakfast/lunch with both of your parents. Did we ride together in Montana or was that your brother? It saddens me to know that you and your family are going through such trying times. Coming to terms with a new normal and what it all means is so challenging. I am praying for you and your family that you recover to the best possible outcome. I am happy that you are still with us to tell your story/your journey. One day at a time. God bless you, you family and those who are helping you recover. I will keep all of you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s hard to imagine you with anxiety. I guess that’s the rub, there are people we look at, live with, work along side who we think possess an unshakable strength. Forgive me for making the assumption that you do not have the full humanity that is within each of us, for assuming you are strong and free of worry. You’re a good man, Matthew, a good human being. May you be carried in your weakness. Sustained in your doubts and fears. Surrounded, always by Love. Shalom, friend.
    Christian

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your honest, transparent, real, injured, healing, suck-honoring, gratitude-sitting, doing-the-next-damn-thing self.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was at that Ash Wednesday sermon and I remember those words. It’s crazy how things sometimes circle back, I have hope though that you will get full recovery! Thank GOD this wasn’t worse and what you mentioned for recovery is still a possibility for you. Trying to stay on the bright side. Thinking of you often.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We think about you often and are praying for your full recovery. We are so thankful you are improving and so thankful you have Nicole. She sounds amazing. :) Blessings, Uncle Matthew.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We continue to lift you up in prayer Matthew. In the midst of your struggle, pains, joys, anxiety and support, please know the community of Christ is surrounding you in prayer. Mike and Barb L

    ReplyDelete