Wednesday, July 6, 2011

FrankenFoot

So, I've been walking around for the past four weeks with a big, rigid, post-surgery boot on my foot (which is referred to by one member of my household as a FrankenFoot). It's designed to keep my ankle stable so it can heal. I've had people ask me recently how much longer I have to wear the boot, and I've had people commiserate with me about how much of a pain in the neck it is to have to wear it.

Honestly, it has hardly been an issue at all. At first, I wore it all the time, because my ankle hurt, and the boot provided protection. Then, I wore it most of the time, taking it off whenever I was planning to be stationary for a while. Now, I generally walk around the house with no boot. Of course, I'm very careful about how I walk, making sure to only step on flat and stable surfaces.

For the past couple weeks, I've been able to walk around on almost any terrain, with the boot on, without any problems at all. The boot provides so much stability for my ankle, that I'm fully confident in my ability to get around.

Next week I go to see the doctor. Hopefully, at that appointment, he'll tell me that the boot is no longer necessary, that I'll be able to begin physical therapy, and that I can actually get a cardio workout again. Two weeks ago, I expected to be getting more and more excited as the time I had to wear the boot got less and less. However, this has not been my experience.

"One week to go", I told someone today. Then, when I examined my feelings, I realized that I was excited, but at the same time somewhat anxious. See, as soon as the boot comes off, the dangers of uneven terrain become much more of a problem. I'm sure that eventually my ankle will be healed and strong enough that I'll be confident walking around. But to lose the boot, my security and stability, all at once means that I'll be vulnerable. I've gotten used to the boot, and especially to the stability it provides. But if I don't take it off, my ankle will never gain any strength, and I'll continue to have to rely on stability coming from outside, instead of building up my own strength.

There's got to be some pithy moral in there somewhere, but it's too late to figure it out.

$0.02

No comments:

Post a Comment