Sunday, June 26, 2011

I can't decide

I can't decide
music, in my computer
crisp, clean,
bass deep and
treble ringing
while on vinyl
scratches and imperfections
muddle what sounds perfect
as mp3

I can't decide
book readers bring me
multiple volumes in a
slim, portable package
every pixel in its place
then, picking up a bound volume
a few pages fall out and
and many others are dog-eared
with pencil marks obscuring
the printed page

I can't decide
from my computer
the library computer,
or my cell phone
I send messages instantly
to be stored in an e-server
probably forever
while ink smudges on
eventually brittle paper
only to arrive at its destination
days later

I can't decide
facebook conversations
are easy ~
I 'like' what I like
and pretend not to see
what I don't
while I bury my face in the
computer screen
doing what I can to
escape or avoid
uncomfortable
face-to-face encounters

the perfect and quick
and digitized
has become necessary
important
ubiquitous
but the tangible and imperfect
worn and used
scarred but serviceable
is essential to
our humanity

No comments:

Post a Comment