Thursday, September 16, 2021

I Used To Move Like That: A Minor Lament

Last week we tried to summit a 14er - Mt. Princeton, which is known for the standard route to the summit crossing a long stretch of talus slope. Hiking across boulders is slower going than walking on a dirt-surface trail. 

My balance since I broke myself isn’t as good as it used to be; the control I have over the muscles in my leg is reduced compared to before I broke myself; every time I take a step, I place my foot carefully (and that goes for walking down a sidewalk … it’s a much more significant mental endeavor on uneven surfaces). 


On the way down, after we took in the gorgeous view, I was making my way very slowly and carefully across the talus slope. We paused for a moment to let another hiker pass us. After we shared polite pleasantries, he continued on his way. I watched him move quickly across the talus, and I remembered a hike we took a couple years ago. 


On that other hike a couple years ago, I was also passed by a guy who was moving quickly and smoothly down the trail. In my memory, he was carrying a small child in a backpack as he moved swiftly and smoothly down the trail. 


The guy on Mt. Princeton reminded me of the guy a couple years ago. Both of them moved smoothly, both of them moved quickly, and neither of them looked like they were rushing. 


I used to move like that.


1 comment:

  1. A 2AM lament post. Thanks for letting us in on your journey. Sending care and light my friend!

    ReplyDelete