Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Advent Midweek Reflection, Week One - Childhood Home

This is the outline of the reflection I shared at last week's Advent midweek Vespers service. As one might expect, this outline does not contain exactly the words that were spoken, but it's pretty close.

Before the reflection, the following was read.


***   ***   ***


You who live in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty,will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress; my God, in whom I trust.”       ~ Psalm 91:1-2

My people will abide in a peaceful habitation, in secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places.      ~ Isaiah 32:18

***   ***   ***

We all kinda wanna go home
      especially around Christmastime

I remember my childhood home

there was a front door on our house
            that we never used
      the front door opened on to a living room
            that we hardly ever used

 we spent time in the sun porch
      the tv room
            and the kitchen

in the summer, the door between the sun porch
            and the car port
      was almost always open
            and the screen door constantly banged shut
                  as we blurred the boundary between inside and out

in winter, the wood burning stove
            on the sun porch
      is where we’d spend much of our time
            huddled around the warmth

eventually, though, us kids had to go to bed
      in our bedroom,
            far from the burning wood in the stove
      on the other end of a drafty house
            that wasn’t well insulated

I’d run as fast as I could manage
      I'd launch myself into the bed
            creating a cocoon
                  by tucking the blankets under my feet & under my shoulders
                        leaving as little space around me as possible

      I’d stay perfectly still
            until my body heat took the edge off the cold

***

and I was home
      and I felt safe and secure

***

I went back years later
            drove a borrowed car out the two lane road
                  turned on the single lane tarmac
      turned again on the two-track gravel
                  (one track for the passenger side wheels, one for the wheels on the driver’s side)
            and stopped close enough to talk to the owners
                  but far enough away to not be a threat

I told them I’d grown up there
      they invited me to take a walk around

driving away, I realized that place wasn't home

Home is the place, or condition
      or community
            or family
                 or reality
      in which we feel cared for
            safe,
                  and loved.

2 comments:

  1. Drafty is a nice word. We treated Ginger better, she got to stay by the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES. This.

    Home is the place, or condition
    or community
    or family
    or reality
    in which we feel cared for
    safe,
    and loved.

    ...and there's no place like it.

    ReplyDelete